LEED CERTIFICATION SYSTEM and CLARION HOTEL GOLDEN HORN
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), which has been developed by US Green Building Council (USGBC) in 1998, defines and rates green buildings in the sustainable building industry. LEED is developed to be applied to all types of commercial, hospital, school, residential, etc. buildings. LEED is a rating system which
- is healthy proving air quality with low VOC usage during construction
- is respectful to the environment providing increased green areas, low CO2 emission, and lower pollution in construction activities
- defines high performance buildings providing energy savings and reducing operating expenditures
The rating is done in the following 7 categories which have different scoring weights:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy and Atmosphere
- Materials and Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Innovation in Design
- Regional Priority
LEED criteria and sustainability have been in the focus in this context during the project design, materials selection and construction phases. The followings are some of the applications implemented in the Clarion Golden Horn project within the LEED context;
- In the site selection, bus and minibus stop locations are considered to be close to customers who are encouraged to use public transportation.
- 22 bicycles parking area are placed at the parking area in order to support utilization of bicycles in cities. This supports alternative transportation and reduces individual car usage.
- Prioritization of low-emission and electrical vehicles is in place at the parking area. It is aimed to increase the prevention of environmental pollution.
- Light-colored materials have been used in the roof cover and terrace areas in order to prevent ‘’heat island effect’’.
- Treated grey water system has been created for water reuse in our hotel.
- Low-flow toilets, high efficiency lavatory faucets and sensors are preferred in order to reduce water consumption.
- Stylish designed with energy efficient lighting fixtures are preferred for the facade and interior.
- A system, enabling heating, cooling, electrical and mechanical automation, is established. It is targeted that the system operates at its highest performance without any energy consumption more than the need.
- Efficient building envelope and façade glass are implemented according to ASHRAE American system.
- Project concept has adopted creating a large window opening and atrium design. This utilizes the highest level of day light and keeps power consumption low.
MATERIALS AND INTERIORS QUALITY
- Utilization of regional and recycled products is substantially considered in construction.
- In order to contribute to recycling, the waste materials are separated according to their types.
- Special mats are placed in guest and staff entrance in order to get the least amount of rough dirt and dust coming from outside.
- Low VOC paints and construction materials have been used for hotel guest’s convenience like comfortable breathing, less exposure to chemicals.
- According to the American standard away from hotel entrance and exist nonsmoking area is placed.
CLARION HOTEL GOLDEN HORN introduces not only a quality and comfort interior venue but also a sustainable and environmentally friendly structure.